Wednesday 17 July 2013

Fake Tan Troubles: Mousse, liquid or spray?

Hi guys, sorry I haven't posted in a while, work has been crazy! But today i thought I'd write a little post on fake tan, and which type is good for each area of the body, and a few pros and cons about each type. 

As I am a broke student as well as a fake tan addict I generally use St. Moritz fake tan which can be bought for around  £2.99 from various chemists and stalls. However, each time I bought tan I decided to try out a new method of application to see what was the best, so here are a few tips to help you decide which is best for you. 

This review is mostly based on the St. Moritz tan, although I have used others in the past. 

(My skin doesn't generally react badly to me applying tan not specifically for the face on this area, but if yours does then I would definitely invest in one specifically for the facial area.)




Mousse
Pros: Good for covering large areas of the body quickly such as legs, back, stomach, stays on after a shower.

Cons: If you don't spread it quickly enough it can dry in lines, can dry out your skin due to the mousse texture, hard to apply evenly on smaller areas such as neck and chest area.

Verdict: This is probably the type of tan I started with when I was younger. It's good for covering large areas such as the legs, but I really wouldn't recommend using a mousse anywhere near your face or neck as it is extremely difficult to apply evenly and dries out your skin a bit.

Rating: **


(L-R: Mousse, lotion, spray) 

Lotion
Pros: A lot easier to spread evenly than mousse, good for covering large areas of the body, less drying than the mousse, a little goes a long way, develops further within 4-6 hours.

Cons: Takes longer to dry, not easy to adjust coverage if you're in a rush.

Verdict: I definitely prefer to use a lotion for a night out, it give a bit more colour than a spray and applies more evenly than a mousse. However, it does take longer to dry.

Rating: ***

Spray
Pros: Allows for more precise application, gives a lighter, more natural colour than the lotion, dries quickly, can be applied straight onto the skin or onto a tanning mitt.

Cons: Can be a tiny bit drying on the skin, doesn't cover large areas as easily as a mousse or lotion, doesn't develop once applied, comes off quite a lot after a shower.

Verdict: Overall the spray version of this tan is probably my favourite. I use it on my face and neck as you can hold the can away from the face and spray for a light coverage, and then blend with a tanning mitt or sponge. It looks the most natural of all 3, perfect for someone who just wants to look like they have a natural tan. It generally comes off quite a lot after a shower however, so if you want to keep your colour up you have to keep applying.

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment